12:48 am ET
- Emotional and specific talking about his family.
- Some great lines, well delivered, including one about helping people instead of saving the planet.
- Nice impassioned close.
- Did not blow away the media filter, meaning the next 48 hours of coverage of the speech won’t be super boffo.
- Too much heavy-handed negativity about President Obama, not enough more-sadness-than-in-anger finesse.
- Unconvincing, box-checking, boilerplate middle class economic anecdotes.
- Too light and general on what he would actually do as president.